Monday, July 7, 2014

Summertime grilling - quick homemade BBQ sauce

"Pulled" BBQ tofu and eggplant sandwich

I love grilled food!  My father was famous for his grilling.  He had an oil drum cut to make a smoker/grill that could hold enough food to feed the neighborhood (which it seemed we often did).  He used the locally available mesquite wood for smoking and would make homemade marinades and sauces to give everything such delicious complex flavors.   Although I use a gas version, I still love cooking on the grill every chance I get.

My most recent grilling adventure made use of some freshly picked Japanese eggplant gifted to me from a neighbor's garden and a block of super firm tofu.  I used this quick to make BBQ sauce from Bondi Harvest to spice up my "pulled" BBQ tofu and eggplant sandwich.  Check out the original recipe and video that was the inspiration for this dish.  This is a great recipe base and I made it my own by adding some of my favorite ingredients and spices that I use in my slow simmered sauce recipe that I make during tomato harvest and canning season.

Quick homemade BBQ sauce

makes about a pint

1 cup mustard (I used stone ground)
3/4 cup of apple cider vinegar (more or less to taste)
3 tablespoons raw sugar, maple syrup or agave nectar (more or less to taste, I used maple syrup)
1 tablespoon molasses
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons Bragg's amino acids, soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 cup tomato paste or thick tomato sauce
cayenne powder or pepper sauce to taste (optional)

Put everything in a pot on the stove over medium heat.  Cook for approximately 15-20 minutes until slightly thickened, stirring often to avoid burning.  Cool and store in a glass jar in the refrigerator.

To make the sandwich, marinate tofu slices and lengthwise sliced eggplant with Bragg's aminos or soy sauce, olive oil and fresh herbs of your choice or use your favorite spice rub.  Grill as desired - I like nice grill marks and for the edges to be a bit crunchy.  Cut into narrow strips and toss in as much BBQ sauce as you like.  You will not need the entire sauce recipe for this and will have plenty for another use.  Pile high on a bun topped with your favorite coleslaw.  Have lots of napkins ready!

Thanks for reading!

You can also find me on:


Sign up for the newsletter here.

Sunny day on Sunday drive






No comments:

Post a Comment