Granola with fresh picked strawberries, blueberries and cashew milk
Store bought granola can be loaded with more sugar and fat than you'd like to start your day. This granola is packed with superfoods and sweetened with dates and dried fruits. The traditional oil is replaced with banana and tahini (or nut butter of your choice). This easy to make recipe works well for breakfast, snacks or dessert. This recipe was inspired by this original recipe at Jenny Mustard's blog. Although the ingredient list is long, it comes together quickly. Feel free to substitute any of your favorite nuts, seeds or dried fruits that you like.
Superfood granola12 large medjool dates, soaked and drained (save water)
1 large ripe banana
½ cup tahini (or use almond, cashew or peanut butter)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 scoop (1 tablespoon, superfood green powder) optional
4 cups old fashioned oats
1/4 cup raw cacao powder
1/4 cup flax seeds
1 cup raw nuts roughly chopped, (I used walnuts and almonds for this batch)
8-10 prunes or dried mission figs, chopped (this batch had figs)
½ cup raisins or other dried fruit like cherries, blueberries or cranberries
1/3 cup goji berries (or more raisins)
½ cup raw sunflower seeds
½ cup raw pumpkin seeds½ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1 teaspoon cinnamon
a pinch of cardamom
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- In a food processor or blender combine drained dates, tahini, bananas, superfood powder and vanilla extract until smooth. If the mixture is too thick to process, add just enough date soaking water to make a thick smooth paste.
- In a large mixing bowl, add all the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Add the date mixture to the bowl and mix until all the dry ingredients are coated.
- Spread the granola evenly on a parchment paper or silicone mat lined large baking sheet and press flat with your hand or back of a spoon
- Bake the granola for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown
- Remove from the oven, let cool thoroughly and break into bite sized chunks
- Store in an airtight container.
Thanks for reading!
If you liked this post, you may like:
Healthy cold cereal
Carrot cake granola
Overnight oat and chia seed pudding