Sunday, May 18, 2014

BBQ Jerk Marinade


BBQ jerk marinated tofu and portobello with roasted potatoes and salad with berries and pecans


It was unexpectedly hot for a day, and I had to fire up the grill in honor of the preview of summer.  I was inspired by this video for BBQ jerk chicken by Bondi Harvest to make jerk marinade for my tofu and portobello mushrooms.  (language alert - there a couple words in the video not suitable for sensitive ears).  I didn't make my version as fiery as theirs, but used just a touch of chili pepper and threw in a handful of chopped fresh herbs from the garden (tarragon, cilantro and oregano).  I cracked open my next to last jar of BBQ sauce made from last year's tomatoes and substituted maple syrup for the sugar in the recipe.  The smoke wafting from the grill was scented with spices - yummy anticipation!  I served the BBQ goodness up with a side of roasted potatoes and a spinach and berry salad, this marinade is sure to be a repeat this summer.  If you like barbecue like I do, I think you're going to like this recipe.  Bondi Harvest focuses on using fresh ingredients and making things as easy as possible so check out their other videos for more recipes.


Jerk marinade (original recipe by Bondi Harvest)

Coriander root (I used about 1/4 cup chopped cilantro instead)
1 x brown onion (yellow onion)
4 x garlic cloves
5cm x ginger (I used a thumb sized piece)
3 x fresh chili  (I omitted it because I like it mild)
thyme 
100ml x bbq sauce  (I used 3/4 cup homemade sauce)
Pinch Dried chili (I used the tiniest pinch)
1 x tsp cinnamon powder 
1 ½ x tsp all spice
½ cup spiced rum (I used 1/4 coconut rum that I had from a holiday baking project)
1 ½ x tbs brown sugar (I used maple syrup)
1 ½ x tbs sugar (omitted)

juice of 1 lime
(added a small handful of fresh tarragon)
(add 2 tablespoons olive oil)

Put all ingredients into a blender or food processor and puree. Let the tofu and mushrooms (or protein of choice) marinate for at least 4 hours or overnight before grilling.  Baste with marinade while cooking.

Thanks for reading!


Buds on a blueberry bush

If you enjoyed this post, you may also like:
Corn on the cob with pesto butter
Eggplant "meatballs"
Celebration lunch

Please share this post with your friends using the social links below and sign up on the right for the newsletter for even more creative inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment