Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Garlic harvest

Garlic dried and braided for storage

My first garlic braid!  Maybe it's not the neatest first attempt, but it was harder than I thought it would be to twist those dry stalks into a braid.  It's now decorating the kitchen hanging from the pot rack within easy reach when I'm cooking.

The garlic had a rough time during our exceptionally cold winter this year so the bulbs were on the small side. However, they are still more flavorful and spicy than the standard commercial varieties.  I'm looking forward to trying my luck at growing some more next year,  Hopefully the weather will  be more favorable and the harvest will be larger.

No matter if you get your garlic from your garden or the grocery store, here's an easy way to peel lots of it in a hurry, like when you are making a fresh batch of pesto.  It really works!  I find that the larger the bowls, the easier it is.




Thanks for reading!


Garlic after harvest ready to dry





No comments:

Post a Comment